Thursday, October 13, 2011

PrettyHappyFunnyReal- pasta edition

I have four children. This is three or four too many for the modern secularist types that I know and three or four too few if I compare myself to most of my Catholic homeschooling-type friends. But it is what it is.

There's a lot in our life that is pretty, happy, and funny- but I usually have a dead battery or a missing memory card to contend with when I try to take a photo. But last night, I took a picture that is a testimony to our 'small' family size: pasta three ways. This is my 'real' photo for the week- because sometimes, if it's easy, I will quickly cater to varying needs or wants. Another 'real' photo might be the peanut butter sandwich that a kid gets when they complain about food that is marginally gourmet.


I usually don't cater to the personal pickiness of my kids- daughter #2 doesn't like eggs, cheese or sour cream....not easy when cooking in my kitchen. But last night, it was easy. Dad had pasta with leftover beef goulash, daughter #2 had pesto pasta and the rest of us had mac and cheese.

8 comments:

  1. Wow - you're good! I hope they appreciated your effort.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lisa- actually, it was no effort at all- the beef goulash was a leftover from eating at a parishoner's and the pesto was from a jar---but I am still reluctant to make special food for different tastes- I don't want them to get in the habit of custom-made meals! But this time, I think it was okay

    ReplyDelete
  3. I once knew a family that had one "leftover" night per week. Everybody got to eat differently that night, as long as it was a leftover!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pasta looks great. I'm a real fan of "real" macaroni and cheese. I am going to find a recipe for the kind that's baked in the oven. mmmm

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love pasta!!

    I'm a new follower from Catholic Mothers Online. Looking forward to reading. :o)

    Jamie
    For Love of Cupcakes

    ReplyDelete
  6. My 3 year old Mr. Picky-Wicky loves pesto pasta. I need to make it again for him before frost kills my basil. He loves macaroni and cheese as well, but only if it's yellow.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah, I decided a little over a year ago to never cater to desires for dinner. My son is the big offender and he was making big overtures about what he did and didn't want to eat. So my rule became, if you do not eat the dinner mommy made, you may have a peanut butter and jelly sandwich after everyone is done eating, or not I don't care we're going to eat in peace. It's a good rule and I see you also give out peanut butter sandwiches.

    ReplyDelete

thanks for commenting! (comments on old posts are moderated)