Monday, January 14, 2013

Meet Angel: rock climber, scholar, Catholic

How long have you been a practicing Catholic?
A cradle catholic, so always!
Care to share your conversion, reversion story?
I was drawn more deeply to communion with God through night adoration at our local chapel, and then through meeting with the parish's ToT and the resultant Young Adults group.
How does your faith inform your day-to-day life?
I pray every day, and I've centered it on the Sacred Heart. As such, I try to be mindful whenever I'm in public to try and be consistent with the ideals of the faith. It has caused me to work harder to forgive at work and to be merciful towards anyone who offends me.
What is your greatest challenge in practicing your faith?
My greatest challenge is frustration...often at God, sometimes other people. Also, striking a balance between different good things- sometimes it's really unclear whether I am serving God better by spending time with family members and assisting, or if I should take a mini retreat to re-center myself. 
favorite Bible verses?
Matthew 10:5-16, Luke 22:36-37, Tobit 12:13, 17-18, Wisdom 3:1-5
favorite Spiritual writing (besides Bible) quotation?
I'm a big fan of St. Teresa of Avila's writings, and St. Louis de Montfort.
favorite saint and why?
St. John the Beloved (ever since a theologian taught us that God lets us decide what our relationship is with Him, even though He loves equally; therefore John was not the beloved disciple because Jesus loved him more, but because John himself loved Jesus to a deeper degree than the others, and thus allowed Jesus to love him more in turn), St. Francis of Assisi because he's such a beautiful poet.
Do have have a living spiritual mentor?
Unfortunately, no- although I'm blessed in that there's a priest I admire greatly, and listening to him and being around him seems to help me become the kind of Catholic I want to be. 
What is your ministry in the church?
Again, to draw more young adults to the Church and a more fervent love of God.
education and job
I was educated in Literature and English at Ave Maria College and at the University of Dallas. I work in Customer Service as a team lead for an international records protection and secure shredding company that is based in the Philadelphia area. 
favorite movie, book, music 
Favorite movie: Master and Commander, favorite book: The Lord of the Rings. I have a wide taste in music, but mostly I like classic 60s and 70s rock and pop.
hobby, describe
Rock-climbing is one of my favorites, as well as swimming.
What is 'cool'/interesting about you?
I'm a multidisciplinarian- with a broad range of knowledge and skills. I like to pick up new knowledge all the time, and I'm good at memorizing lyrics and poetry.

Thank you Angel for sharing your story! 
Click on the 'I'm a Catholic' label below for other posts in this series

3 comments:

  1. Angel has fans way out in Oregon. She's a real nice lady.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! Thank you, Anonymous! It's so funny to see my name and pic on another person's blog- Priest's wife, I'm enjoying reading through your blog. It's very illuminating, especially for someone whose main experience of Catholicism is Ye Olde Roman. Makes me miss Austria, especially Mariazell!

    ReplyDelete

thanks for commenting! (comments on old posts are moderated)