Tuesday, July 14, 2015

strongly opinionated priest's wife: Jurassic Park for teens or Jurassic World for 5 year olds?

It was daughter #2's birthday. She would be 15 like her older sister for some days. Then daughter #1 turns 16. I had heard rave reviews of Jurassic World, so I thought they could go see it after they saw the first Jurassic Park. Lavender-mint lemonade in hand, we watched it on our small screen, and my girls were ....
 
"wow....cool brontosauruses"...and then...
Image result for jurassic park raptor
 "nooo....that dino ate the guy...tell me what happens....I can't look"....
The next morning, I told the office manager about the girls' reaction. I said, "And to think there were five year olds in the theater when I saw it new." Open mouth, insert foot. She said, "yes, I took my 6 year old to Jurassic World and she had nightmares." This child has suffered divorce and deaths in the family in the past year. How about a steady diet of Kipper, Trotro and Beatrix Potter videos? Why does society think that it is good to expose small child to images such as in Jurassic World? Are there no standards to protect children anymore? Cannot a child's early years be filled with beauty, truth and wonder?
If I were a perfect Christian, I probably would not watch it myself, but at least I am an adult and I can make choices for myself. The world has decided that children should see and do everything with no moral or developmental limits, but also that adults shouldn't really ever grow up.

5 comments:

  1. "The world has decided that children should see and do everything with no moral or developmental limits, but also that adults shouldn't really ever grow up." This insanely insightful statement needs a whole blog post. Or maybe a whole book. Or maybe a whole separate blog with daily rants about how true this is. Or maybe we need to make placards with this on it and stand at corners shouting it. The world today, people. Was it always this bad and we just didn't notice?

    ReplyDelete
  2. What Tasoni said.
    Children are being robbed of their innocence in so many ways and adults (parents even!) are the enablers.
    It wasn't always this way, at least not to the extent that it's happening today. It's been bad for a while and it's getting worse...

    ReplyDelete
  3. priest's wife said: "...and maybe I will elaborate!"

    looking forward to when you elaborate! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Last weekend my 12-year old son saw Jurassic World with his dad. My 17-year old daughter and I had no desire to see it so we went shopping instead. ;) I can't imagine taking a 5-year old to see any of the Jurassic movies.

    ReplyDelete

thanks for commenting! (comments on old posts are moderated)