Thursday, October 18, 2012

Pretty Happy Funny Real Homeschooling Thoughts

"How can it be a large career to teach other people's children about the Rule of Three and a small one to teach one's own children about the universe?" -- GK Chesterton

Pretty- really, the word should be beautiful. I am waiting for this in the mail. It is really our family Christmas present, but I think we will put it in the main icon corner right away. The icon corner should be the main focus of the homeschooling day. I also ordered 3 beautiful Byzantine crosses- but they are different than anything you have seen. When I get them, I'll post a photo.
Happy- The big girls are happy that their Shakespeare play this year is Taming of the Shrew. They performed the play five years ago, the first time they were in this drama program. Now, they are hoping for important roles like Katerina. Their director should be calling me Thursday night so they will know their roles for their Friday morning class. I'll write their parts down in the comment box when I know them...I am full of anticipation and trepidation. They perform the play in March, so that is a long time to live with a part you aren't thrilled with.

Funny- after lunch watermelon silliness
Real- I just got a letter in the mail stating that my kindergartener son is in trouble because he has been tardy seven times since he started school on August 18th. 'Tardy' means that he got there at 8:05 instead of 8:00. The drop-off time is the same for the entire school (luckily, pick-up is much easier because only the kindergarten is half-day); this means that 500 cars are battling for 50 parking spaces. I have already had damage to my van because I dared to park in the parking lot. Usually, we park on the street (still a difficult feat) and walk a ways to get to school. And my boy is under pressure to sell wrapping paper and cookie dough so that he can get prizes. I can't wait to homeschool him next year...
go to Like Mother, Like Daughter for more pretty, happy, funny, real

8 comments:

  1. I hear you on the selling business. My daughter goes to Catholic school and I know that fundraising is a part of that. I don't mind participating, but I don't like the brainwashing they do about the prizes. My daughter had to sell magazines during the first week of school - two months ago now - and still periodically complains about the "splat egg," whatever that is, that she didn't get because I would not let her provide the magazine company with seven names and addresses for them to send direct mailers to.

    We're about to move to a new city, and the new school's fundraising involves working events at the parish festivals selling items to benefit the school. Much easier, though there is still a sales quota.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Julie- I was a girl scout for less than six months because I couldn't stomach the thought of going door to door and selling cookies- I am not a salesman! Our goal is to sell 5 items (I'll renew some magazines then as maybe 2 items) so he can go to the BMX assembly...

      Delete
  2. I went to a Catholic parish school for K-8 and was not a fan of fundraising either! Same thing for my freshman year at a Carmelite high school in Illinois; it was raffle tickets this time. Then dad got a job transfer to our current state, and the fundraising stopped when I had to go public high school.
    I also was in Girl Scouts until 4th grade; our Junior troop dissolved because there was no one able to do it.

    Have you seen "Taming of the Shrew" movie with Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton in the leading roles?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elisa- I feel your pain with the fundraising...

      I haven't seen that one- I bet it is amazing...looking it up on netlfix.

      I personally always think of Richard Keel in Kiss me Kate

      Delete
  3. The parts were given- Daughter #1 (13) is Bianca and daughter #2 (12) is Petruchio- both will be playing very much against type

    ReplyDelete
  4. The watermelon rind helmut is glorious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's a silly girl...most kids only do black olives on fingers...

      Delete
  5. Oh! I thought I was the only one who was taught to put black olives on fingers. My mother taught us that along with a poem about the changing of guards at Buckingham Palace.

    ReplyDelete

thanks for commenting! (comments on old posts are moderated)