Monday, October 1, 2012

An October Daybook


Outside my window...our dog is trying, unsuccessfully, to greet the cat. The cat will have none of it.
I am thinking about... the saint of the day- “Miss no single opportunity of making some small sacrifice, here by a smiling look, there by a kindly word; always doing the smallest right and doing it all for love.” -- Thérèse de Lisieux
I am thankful...for the pale peach gladiolas on the dining room table and the sentiment behind them.
In the kitchen...bean and vegetable soup to use up our veggie box in time for tomorrow's new box.
I am wearing...a green shirt and grey pants and toes that desperately  need a fresh manicure. 
I am creating...ideas for my spontaneous '31 Days' series via The Nester.
I am going...to work tonight. Wish me luck, my second class is a bear to teach.
I am wondering...if the polls putting President Obama is the lead are true. 
I am reading...snippets of theological works and The Hobbit again in preparation for the film this December.
I am hoping...that Boy gets over this cold so he can go to Kindergarten tomorrow. We always get a bit sick at this time. I think our temperate weather weakens us. 
I am looking forward to...my bachelor uncle's wedding at New Year's- I'm sure the event will merit a few posts.
I am learning...Algebra again. I have a seventh and an eighth grader learning it. They are studying things I never learned so I couldn't forget it. Did you know that an exponent of zero makes any number (to be) 1? I don't remember ever learning much about exponents...
Around the house...the three lonely green tomatoes are finally ripening. Three plants yielded three tomatoes. Homesteaders, we are not. 
I am pondering...Education is the period during which you are being instructed by somebody you do not know, about something you do not want to know. - G K Chesterton

versus
The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates. The great teacher inspires.--William Arthur Ward
One of my favorite things...tea, tea and more tea. I need to be a bit more ceremonial about it with a tea pot and such. maybe a tea cozy would inspire me....
A few plans for the rest of the week: I'm finally getting my bumper fixed (long, annoying story...). I can't wait to feel like a grown-up with a nice car!
A favorite quote for today...
"It is essential that we show our love and support to our Diocesan clergy wives, whose service, all too often, has not been adequately recognized. The work of these pious women in the ministry of the Orthodox Church and this Diocese often goes unnoticed: but all the same, it is a work that is of incalculable benefit.
Panis are said to have a task that is great in responsibility but low in authority. They serve piously and humbly, frequently shunning the limelight so that the focus could be on the Church and the parishioners. They are sources of compassion, wisdom, good counsel, and are of enormous support and companionship for their spouse, the priest.
I ask you to consider the following supportive measures that every parish can put into practice:
Ensure that the Pani is able to enter Divine Services in quiet prayer, without having to discuss parish concerns before Liturgy.
Direct questions and concerns about the parish and the Orthodox Faith to the priest, not his Pani.
Remember that the first priority of the Pani is to be a wife to her husband and a mother to her children.
Resist the temptation to express critical comments about other people or situations to the Pani.
Panis are happy to serve the parish, but in their own way. Some are great cooks. Some are great musicians. Some are great organizers. None of them are perfect, but they are each beautiful in their own right.
Do not expect the Pani to divulge confidential information about other people or parish concerns.
Respect the fact that Panis are not to involve themselves in so-called "parish politics," or to become overly involved in activities that might detract from their primary vocation, which is to care for the priest and family.
Finally, thank God for the Pani, and pray for her to grow in her faith. Encourage her and support her in her very difficult task. Her husband was called to the priesthood. She is called, like Ruth, to follow him."
September 29, 2007

1 comment:

  1. I'm a new follower. You have a beautiful blog. If those pictures are of your child they are so cute. It sounds like you are very busy. I hope the colds are all better. Doylene, a new follower.

    ReplyDelete

thanks for commenting! (comments on old posts are moderated)