Wednesday, October 3, 2012

31 Days of Faith & Works & Herb Butter- day 3

Sage, Rosemary and Thyme (no parsley)
I was inspired by a recent post at Like Mother, Like Daughter. Leila had a plethora of basil to use up; she made pesto. I had some herbs, dying in the refrigerator. What to do? As part of using up my 'stash' series, I decided to make herb butter that  I can store in the freezer. I enjoyed this same kind of herb butter on pork chops when I taught English in Gaming, Austria. It brings back beautiful memories!
1. Take all the herbs in the fridge and strip the leaves off the stems. making pretty patterns with the herbs is optional (courtesy of oldest daughter, of course)
2. Chop up the herbs as finely as possible.
3. Mix herbs with 2 sticks of softened butter, salt and some crushed garlic.
4. Shape into a log on aluminum foil, wrap well and store in freezer.
5. When some extra flavor is needed, cut into rounds while still frozen and serve on meat or fish.
“You are the salt of the earth.  You are the light of the world.  A city set on a mountain cannot be hidden.  Just so, your light must shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your heavenly Father.” – Gospel of St. Matthew 5:13-14, 16
more '31 days' posts at The Nester

1 comment:

  1. That idea is great. I have some basil on the counter as we speak from leaves of an older plant. I was going to chop up the leaves and put them in ice cube trays covered with water, freeze and then put in freezer bags. NOW, I'll do part with your idea....don't know about the shapes. But it's a great thought.
    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

thanks for commenting! (comments on old posts are moderated)