Thursday, April 18, 2013

precious puppies, cute kittens & popes: we need an internet oasis- 7 quick takes

1. Have you explored Catholic Memes?
It has been a hard week. I need a laugh. Read this site- Keep a sense of humor- you might like it...
2. May I suggest the site Godvine for inspiration? It's filled with stories and videos- many of which are appropriate for older children.
3. And if you need even more inspiration, watch The Butterfly Circus
4. For readers via Conversion Diary, I invite you to click over to my girls' guest post "Being a Catholic Priest's Kid."- they were excited to write this post...maybe next time I will have my husband write a guest post...
5. Puppies!
6. Kittens!
7.The Catholic Church is not a secret society. The Vatican website has all the encyclicals at your fingertips. Have you read the documents of the Vatican II Council? I suspect the women screaming at my husband lately have not; there is nothing there that declares women should be Catholic clergy. The new catechism is here; it is very understandable for someone who is willing to learn.  I like to go here for different translations of the Bible. My favorite 'internet oasis' is pray as you go- a daily podcast with music, Bible readings and reflections. I also like to stay informed with National Catholic Register, Life Site News, and Catholic Culture, but I wouldn't call them oases. 

13 comments:

  1. Actually... the English version of the Vatican's website doesn't have the encyclicals linked -- the page is blank other than the word "Encyclicals". (The Latin site is fine.)

    And seriously... even heathens like myself know that Vatican II does not stipulate women as clergy. Maybe these women would like to try the Episcopal Church?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jen, I'm guessing you are searching under Pope Francis for encyclicals since that would be their default page right now. You have to to the previous Pope's page to get to the encyclicals he wrote. They were all there the last time I was on the site.

      Delete
    2. Rakhi- thanks for the tip! The website is huge- takes time to navigate

      Delete
    3. jen- I can't give details on the one-sided fight...but I would appreciate Lutheran prayers for my Catholic priest!

      Delete
    4. Rakhi: Thanks for the heads-up! You were right.

      Preoteasa: When my Lutheran pastor husband jumped ship to our current denomination, one of his (ELCA) seminary classmates went on a rampage about it because apparently he now didn't support her ordination or the ordination of his aunt (who is the Bishop's assistant in Kansas City). I wanted to tell her (the classmate) that I had never supported her ordination even when we were part of the ELCA. (She gives most feminists a bad name.)

      Delete
  2. I just found your blog through the link up. My husband is a Ukrainian Catholic deacon. The priest at our mission is married with 5 kids. Love the blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome! Your husband must have a great voice if he is 'staying' a deacon- I just love the Ukrainian tones

      Delete
    2. I thinking his voice is the one thing he would tell you he needs to improve on the most. He has mastered the art of prosphora (sp?) making and his homilies are generally really good. He was just ordained June 2012 so he got some time. Yes... about this staying a deacon thing. I love when he gets the priest question especially from other priests... when I'm around I always enjoying chiming in that there would hopefully be some consult with me before anything were to happen. though i am pretty sure if he were to be ordained a priest I would NEVER see him : )

      Delete
  3. #1 funny stuff, need that! #4 I read your girls'post, well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. this is something my mama would say- but don't they look sweet in that photo? ;)

      Delete
  4. Along with "National Catholic Register" for news, bigpulpit.com is a good roundup with sister pages for Eastern Catholicism and "God & Caesar" headlines.

    As for the lady complaining about no women clergy in the catholic church, there are plenty of other Protestant denominations where she'd be happier!

    ReplyDelete
  5. "The Catholic Church is not a secret society. "

    Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This seems a bit spammish- but I am going to keep it. If you really are curious- start with this video... http://www.catholic.com/video/why-is-in-vitro-fertilization-wrong

    ReplyDelete

thanks for commenting! (comments on old posts are moderated)