Thursday, May 3, 2012

Fun with Uncluttering- 7 QuickTakes

1. "You sometimes see a woman who would have made a Joan of Arc in another century and climate, threshing herself to pieces over all the mean worry of housekeeping."  ~Rudyard Kipling "I am thankful for a lawn that needs mowing, windows that need cleaning and gutters that need fixing because it means I have a home.... I am thankful for the piles of laundry and ironing because it means my loved ones are nearby."  ~Nancie J. Carmody "There's nothing to match curling up with a good book when there's a repair job to be done around the house."  ~Joe Ryan  As you can tell, my thoughts on the cleaning/decluttering issue are all over the map!

2. Listening to podcasts has been a real help in cleaning and decluttering. The Organized Woman Show is one that I have been listening to- does anyone have some recommendations for some more inspiration?I have also joined a group called HelloMornings; it is supposed to help support women in getting up to exercise. pray, plan their day- I could use inspiration in all of this because I would much rather sleep in a bit. I'm sure priest-husband would love a more reliable breakfast routine as well.

3.It is early May, and we have received some boxes of stuff to sell at the November Christmas bazaar at the hospital for Crafters for Life. I could cry. I really have no room around here for my own random stuff let alone someone else's random stuff. But I think that her home is more uncluttered now by giving me her stuff....

4. hmmm...I haven't grown much in the area of dealing with my Mommy guilt- but I know I could do a lot better in mothering my children. At this point, I am just trying to keep doing my baby steps. And even though my home is not all that bad (except for the two dented filing cabinets filled with total chaos) I hope to have some fairly awesome before and after photos to post on my blog.

5.  Five Things I’ve Learned from FlyLady
1. Do it now. Procrastination is a symptom of perfectionism and needs to be overcome. Do what you can, when you can, the best you can. Then let it go.
2. Set a timer for 15 minutes. Set your timer, work steadily at one task for 15 minutes, and then stop, even if you're not completely finished. The next day, pick up where you left off and do another 15 minutes. Trying to tackle an entire room or project all at once can be overwhelming.
3. Go shine your sink. When FlyLady was moving from chaos to order, the first thing she did was shine her sink. Go ye and do likewise. It is amazing what a clean sink can do for your spirits. You’ll feel inspired to spread that sense of order throughout your home.
4. Clear your "hot spots" every day. You know what they are: the kitchen counter that collects all the mail and school flyers; the bedroom chair that would be great for reading in, if only it weren't covered with laundry. Clutter always attracts more clutter.
5. Start where you are. We’re all going to have periods where we fall off the wagon. FlyLady wants us to just dive in wherever we are. Our houses did not get messy overnight, and they won’t be cleaned in just one day.

6. For God is not a God of disorder but of peace. As in all the congregations of the saints, (1 Corinthians 14:33) But everything should be done in a fitting and orderly way (verse 40). Okay, okay...I'm learning...

7. Now if I could just find my label maker....or I could just use blue painter's tape and a sharpie to make labels now- brilliant and free!

go to conversiondiary for more quick takes!


8 comments:

  1. Man that video makes me embarrassed for my some-what organized life :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pray to St. Anthony to find your label maker. You'll find it soon, I can feel it. Good luck and thanks for the kick in the pants. Sort of.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yesterday- I was cleaning out my moldy wallet (a milk sippy cup spilled in my purse and I didn't use my purse for a day or two...) and I FOUND THE MEMORY CARD FOR MY CAMERA OF OUR LAST EURO VACATION!!!!!I can buy a new label maker (I won't- I decided to use painter's tape at least for now)- but the filled memory card is priceless...now to find the memory card reader....(ok- it is ALWAYS something)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beth Ann- I think the video lady has a little OCD...I will never go to her extremes- but if I can get to be a wee bit like her- it would be more peaceful around here

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, you have my sympathies! I love the idea of being more organized but thinking about trying to make it happen amid all the other commitments just makes me tired.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, I love this post! This is my first visit to your blog. I saw your link at Jen's quick takes. I'm on an organizing project in my home and have been blogging about it. Sometimes it's overwhelming but I've learned to take litte steps. The progress I have made has helped make life run so much smoother though! I also read your mom guilt post. Beautiful. Thanks for opening your heart and sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I feel your uncluttering pain ... We've just moved house and gone from mere clutter to pure chaos! Still, we're getting there one box at a time.

    It doesn't help that we have some relatives that 'declutter' by giving us all the precious family 'heirlooms' that they no longer want but don't want to junk or donate to charity ... & then when they visit us remark that we have so much stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I still need SO much help in the morning routine portion of my life. Which would, of course, help the rest of my life :)

    ReplyDelete

thanks for commenting! (comments on old posts are moderated)