Monday, August 29, 2011

1stAnniversary or You Know You're a Blogger When...

Moi- a person who in her entire life never, ever was consistent with a journal is proud (but not in a deadly-sin way) to be celebrating her first blog-anniversary. I refuse to say "blogoversary" just as my younger sister won't say "jeggings." While I am trying to remain anonymous and charitable- so sometimes this blog is rather milquetoast compared to the gritty reality we are sometimes living- it has been an interesting record which I hope to continue.  
Sometimes I feel as if I have nothing to say- especially because I have a self-censor mode. I really don't believe in letting all of my personal business be out there for the entire world (those interested enough to click on my blog) to read about. Do you really want to know that Big Baby Boy had a fever last night? Probably not, but that was our life last night.

So I thought I would re-read the first few blog posts from last year. They are a bit bleak, but they stand true and I don't disown anything I have written. But what was my stated purpose in starting this blog- besides being a personal journal of sorts so I can remember bits and pieces of the past? I suppose I wanted (and still want) readers to know more about the Byzantine rite of the Catholic Church and to realize that their experience of the Church is not the only valid and holy way. I've read that many people believe that history is what has happened in their lifetime. We all need to understand that Church history is much richer than our personal experiences.


During our vacation to my parents, I showed my mother the few really awful comments that I never published but have saved in my spam folder. I suppose they are still there to keep me humble and careful with my dealings on the computer. One lesson learned is this: I am one person who is working out her salvation with fear and trembling who relies on the glorious mercy of God. I am not going to change anyone's opinions. Perhaps occasionally, I can be used by God for good things. But all the glory goes to Him.

first 2 comics are from 101 excuses not to write; last comic is from xkcd.com  

14 comments:

  1. Preoteasa,

    Congratulations!! Thank you for taking the time to write and being willing to expose your dirty linen on the interwebs.

    I think that your blog is achieving it purpose - as we saw by recent, rather narrow views being posted. I hope that you continue.

    Bear

    ReplyDelete
  2. DIRTY linens! All my laundry is clean (albeit still in the baskets) ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy blog anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alice and others- thanks for the well wishes


    off-topic food for thought that I did not write:

    http://www.firstthings.com/article/2007/01/celibacy-in-context-48

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much for writing! I stumbled on your blog when I was first researching Eastern Catholic rites, and I'm always intrigued by your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was trying to respond to Wade with almost exactly what the First Things article says. It's a good thing I never managed to hit post over the last 4 days.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Alice- Fr Maximos is a really good writer- pray for his monastery as they are moving AND they have a few serious vocation possibilities!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy anniversary! I am looking forward to many more years of blog posts from you :)

    I got an email with your comment on my blog in it. Thanks for thinking of us! Thankfully, we escaped Irene relatively unscathed; no damage. The only bad thing was that we had no power from early Sunday until about noon today (Monday), which also meant no water, since we have a well. That was interesting, but we learned a lot. Stay tuned, I plan on writing a post about this experience soon!

    ReplyDelete
  9. happy anniversary. may you have many more blogging years.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy anniversary ! Bet your dad would have liked to see those spam folder comments - but then he might have gotten angry at the people who made the comments.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Anniversary (and I want to see those spam folders on dad) Taking Evie and Davey up to their empty Champeog house. Lili did a Herculian task of getting everything everywhere. The movers are there and Dad and I and the kids will go, then I'll stay if there's anymore to be done at the little white house while DAD takes them all to the plane to go to Virginia.

    I can hardly hear because for the first time in 44 years, dad and I have twin ear infections clogging us up in the ears and sinuses. He can take a strong medicine, but not me...unfair.

    Love to you all love the last blog, have to get back to the rest, been crazy around here with all the moving and trying to help the Wendells.

    MA

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations on the anniversary! You offer a truly unique perspective and are a gifted and thoughtful writer. God Bless!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy anniversary! Many happy returns!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just glanced at the bookstore shelf rearranging comic and realized that when I worked at a bookstore, local authors would come in and do just that!

    ReplyDelete

thanks for commenting! (comments on old posts are moderated)