Tuesday, February 20, 2018

dyslexic days: the real world bumps into our homeschool demi-paradise

This was a few days ago- Daughter 8 1/2, smiling in triumph because she successfully completed her work on a short vowel 'U' book. 
In glorious Finland, she might be just one year behind the majority. In the United States, she is two years behind the 'standards.' She has an IEP (finally- it took 2 years) which entitles her to 3 hours of tutoring per week, and we are meeting another tutor for an additional 2 hours per week. She dabbles in nessy.com (love it!) every day as her only screen time. We read aloud (finishing up the original Pinocchio) and listen to audio books in the van (finishing up Anne of Green Gables).  And we work on sing spell read write  together (just like her siblings- just a year or two later). She was premature, she is left-handed and she has dyslexia going on. 

Today, her smile was wiped from her face when she was repeatedly accused of "lying"  and being a "liar" when she told someone that she couldn't read something that most 3rd graders can read. Now, she is taking a nap to gird herself for literature and choir with our homeschool group. And I am blogging, wondering how to get her spark back.
her home for the first 5 weeks...sometimes I still see her as this little, so forgive me for my mama bear-ness- actually- don't forgive me 

4 comments:

  1. We just got our dyslexia and dysgraphia diagnosis from school today. I could not be more ecstatic, which must sound odd. But when you know something, you just know it. The older brother, who is not dyslexic, but autistic, has had to learn to self-advocate. His frustration is that people confuse his body language all the time. It's so disheartening. I can empathize with you. Fellow students can see that your daughter is bright but don't understand her struggle. Parents aren't much help either. So I'm a big advocate of teaching my kiddos self-advocates and educators. I tell them not be afraid of who they are. It's the other people who need to get over themselves. They are ignorant and need to learn that invisible disabilities exist just like the physical ones. I tell them what their disabilities are so that they can explain them to others.

    We really need some sort of online community for Catholic families with special needs. There are so many of us. Sometimes I feel that the Church needs to be more vocal about recognizing that sometimes the person in the pews or religious education is struggling through their disability. It isn't just the poor or sick. Kindness goes a long way. But I'll get off my soap box.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes- the girl who called my daughter a 'liar' probably just couldn't understand- my daughter is Puck in Midsummer Night's Dream next week (an abridged version for the youngest class) - so how can she not read? (except now she is a reader- just small steps)

      Delete
  2. During my senior year of high school, I spent a semester as a teacher's aide for a special ed. reading class consisting of 4 boys. It was hard work for them! Reading your post reminded me of that class.
    As for the kid who called your daughter a liar, that's terrible and infuriating! I wouldn't be surprised if this girl has her own insecurities.

    ReplyDelete

thanks for commenting! (comments on old posts are moderated)