Monday, January 19, 2015

an inspiring contemporary Christian song for Catholics: Lauren Daigle's 'How Can It Be'

We listen to only Christian pop music and classical in the car. Some Christians turn up their noses at CCM, thinking that music can, and should, be Christian- beautiful and truthful- without being so, well, obvious about it. These are the same type of people that believes that LOTR and The Hobbit are too sentimental.
I disagree. While there is plenty of room for art to be non-obvious in its Christianity and pursuit of beauty and truth without actually being theologically crystal clear (Madeleine L'engle's books, Mumford & Sons' songs, Tony Pro's portraits), there is even more space for art and media to shout from the roof-tops- Jesus Christ is Lord!
This song is a favorite. For a Catholic, it could be sung after the beautiful sacrament of confession. Jesus told His apostles that they had the power to bind and loose of earth and that it would remain bound and loosed in heaven. Grace and mercy are waiting in the sacrament of confession/reconciliation
Isn't it wonderful that our informed conscience can inspire us to make things right with God?I cannot understand it when the Church is made fun of- 'Catholic guilt.' Maybe my convert-ness is showing, but shouldn't we feel bad if we do something we know is wrong? If I sin, I am glad I feel guilt! If I didn't feel shame, I am either ignorant, proud to sin being very far from God or, at worst, a sociopath! The sacrament of confession is a wonderful tool for Catholics to get closer to God and .
lyrics to 'How Can It Be'
I am guilty
Ashamed of what I've done, what I've become
These hands are dirty
I dare not lift them up to the Holy one

You plead my cause
You right my wrongs
You break my chains
You overcome
You gave Your life
To give me mine
You say that I am free
How can it be
How can it be

I've been hiding
Afraid I've let you down, inside I doubt
That You still love me
But in Your eyes there's only grace now

Though I fall, You can make me new
From this death I will rise with You
Oh the grace reaching out for me
How can it be
How can it be

No comments:

Post a Comment

thanks for commenting! (comments on old posts are moderated)